Friday 8 February 2013

A Rainbow Nation by Nabeelah Adams Grade 8

District Six, our heritage, our culture
Stolen from us, taken away
Because of our different colours
Because we believed in unity,
In a nation where colour doesn't matter.

Our dreams,
Our choices, our freedom
Withheld from us
All because of our skin colour 
Why did we stand for this?
Why did we not fight?

I know one thing for sure
Me and my children will never 
Experience District Six,
But one day I hope to 
Restore it


I want to feel the music,
The unity, the culture,
The feeling of family
As it was

I want to experience 
What I've been told
Not just listen

To people telling me
What it is

It's no use telling us
"D6 this"  "D6 that"
We need to experience it for ourselves
Our ancestors went through
Bad things like
Apartheid
But out of this we gained
Good things,
The constitution, freedom,
Unity, and finally District Six

It may have been destroyed
But it lives in out hearts
Our souls, out blood,
and, most importantly, in our
Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment